Dentures of some sort or another have improved people’s lives for millennia. We know the ancient Etruscans constructed them out of animal or human teeth as early as 700 BC, and that George Washington sported a set made of ivory and teeth (not wood as the popular legend suggests). By your grandparents’ and parents’ time, denture quality had improved significantly since Revolutionary War days, but you may well remember them as appearing large and not quite natural looking.
Today, however, thanks to advances in materials and manufacturing, dentures are far superior to those even of recent decades.
Modern dentures enable you to chew your food properly, speak more clearly, and, once again, smile with complete confidence.
To learn more about the denture options at Uptown Dental Associates and to book a consultation, call our Albuquerque, NM office at 505-407-8781.
Implant Dentures Offer Total Security
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root, made of sturdy titanium, that is surgically inserted into your jaw bone. As it heals over the course of a few months, the bone grows around it, anchoring it securely and permanently into place. Once this process is complete, we attach a connector and some sort of restoration, depending on your needs — a crown, a bridge, or a full arch of teeth.
Dentures secured with implants make a brilliant option for patients who are missing many teeth and whose jawbones are healthy. We will place a few dental implants in the best configuration to support a denture. Implant-retained dentures use a ball attachment, while implant-supported dentures use a bar attachment.
Implant dentures have many advantages over traditional dentures.
- They stay securely in your mouth. They will not slip around or slide out.
- You will not have to use messy and inconvenient denture adhesives.
- They maintain jawbone health. Because implants replace the entire tooth, including the root, your biting force goes into the bone like with real teeth. This prevents the bone deterioration that can happen with conventional dentures.
- The prosthetic rests completely on the dental implants and does not cover the soft tissues of your mouth, so you won’t have to worry about the slurred speech that can sometimes occur with traditional dentures.
- You will have a strong bite restored and will be able to chew your food normally.
- Our implant-retained and implant-supported dentures look and feel just like natural teeth!
Conventional Dentures Remain a Good Alternative
Perhaps you are on a tight budget. Or maybe your jawbone is not healthy enough to support dental implants. In either of these cases, our conventional dentures are an excellent way to restore your smile and dental health. We offer full dentures, which replace an entire arch, and partial dentures, for several adjacent missing teeth.
We will take precise impressions of your mouth, ensuring your dentures fit perfectly and are comfortable to wear. They will be constructed out of the highest-quality materials for a completely lifelike appearance. We can even provide you with temporary dentures so you have beautiful pearly whites while your permanent set is being made.