Are you fed up with experiencing migraines, other headaches, ringing in the ears, buzzing in the ears, and many other unexplained symptoms? The cause may be jaw problems. No, really – there’s even a name for the condition. It’s known as Temporomandibular Joint Disorder, or TMD. At Uptown Dental Associates in Albuquerque, NM, Dr. Ryan Shepherd will determine whether the cause of your mystery symptoms are due to TMD. If so, he can provide effective and lasting treatment.
That’s A Very Busy Joint…
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the sliding hinge that connects your upper and lower jaws. That joint is surprisingly mobile – you can shift your jaw up and down, side to side, and make rotary motions. That’s a lot to ask from a joint, and it’s not surprising that problems can develop.
Since you have two TMJ joints, problems can develop with one or both.
A number of factors can affect your TMJ:
- Injury to the jaw or teeth
- Teeth grinding
- Gum chewing
- Connective tissue disease
…With A Lot Of Related Problems
The most obvious sign of TMJ problems is pain in one or both joints. That pain can extend into the muscles that control the movements of your jaw. Other pretty obvious signs include your jaw locking open unexpectedly, clicking or grinding when you open and/or close your jaws, and pain and/or difficulty while chewing.
TMD can also cause headaches, strange sounds in your ears, facial pain, and other problems. It’s often not easy to relate this last set of symptoms to problems in your jaw.
There Is Help For TMJ Problems
Dr. Ryan Shepherd of Uptown Dental Associates in Albuquerque, NM is very experienced in diagnosing and treating jaw problems due to TMD. He’ll perform a thorough examination to determine whether those very mobile joints are the source of your problems. If TMD is confirmed, he can provide a variety of solutions to meet your needs:
- Cosmetic dentistry treatment will help relieve tension in your jaws. This is one of those “don’t knock it till you’ve tried it” solutions. Many of our patients with TMD found relief within one day after Dr. Shepherd worked his magic.
- Custom mouthguards are specifically created to perfectly fit you. A mouthguard will keep you from grinding your teeth while you sleep which allows the muscles controlling your jaws to relax.
- Trigger point therapy: Dr. Shepherd is a former licensed massage therapist, so he’s well aware of just how much pain is due to muscle imbalances and trigger points. He can identify your trigger points and teach you to relieve the tension yourself.
Don’t Live With TMD Symptoms
In addition to the pain, stress, and embarrassment of TMD, you could be putting your teeth at risk if you’re grinding your teeth. Teeth grinding wears away the enamel that covers and protects your teeth against infection.
There’s no need to keep suffering. Call Uptown Dental Associates in Albuquerque, NM today at 505-407-8781 to schedule a TMD consultation.