Not so long ago, if you had multiple missing teeth, you had one replacement option: dentures.
Now, conventional dentures are still an excellent option in many cases. And today’s are infinitely superior in fit, appearance, and function to the ones likely available to your grandma and grandpa years ago.
But if you want to replace your pearly whites in the most secure way possible, you’ll want to consider dental implants. At Uptown Dental Associates, we can even provide you with a full arch of beautiful, natural-looking replacement teeth using dental implant technology.
The process does not require a dental implant for each tooth, which would be impractical and costly. We offer implant-retained and implant-supported dentures, both of which combine the benefits of implant dentistry with a full- or partial-arch denture, depending on your needs.
To learn more about implant dentures and schedule a consultation with Uptown Dental Associates, call our Albuquerque, NM dental office at 505-407-8781.
Dental Implants Are the Gold Standard Tooth Replacement
Unlike traditional dental restorations, dental implants are a way to replace the entire tooth, including the root. The dental implant itself is a titanium post that we surgically embed in your jawbone. As you heal over the course of a few months, the implant will fuse permanently with the bone. We then attach a connector, or abutment, and top it off with a restoration. For a single missing tooth, that’s typically a crown.
Implant Dentures Offer Unprecedented Stability
If you have many missing teeth, you can still reap the benefits of dental implants. We can attach a gorgeous custom full or partial denture to just a few implants, strategically placed in your jaw for maximum support. Implant-retained dentures are held in place with a ball-shaped attachment, while implant-supported dentures utilize a bar attachment. One of our doctors will be happy to discuss the differences and which will be best for you.
Dentures secured with implants offer many advantages over conventional dentures.
- They look and feel more like real teeth.
- They don’t require messy and inconvenient dental adhesives.
- They restore the full strength of your bite.
- Because your bite force goes into your jawbone, you won’t suffer the bone deterioration that can occur with dentures that rest on the gums.
- They are totally stable in your mouth: you don’t have to worry about them slipping around or falling out.
- Because the denture is not sitting directly on your gum tissue, it won’t cause sore spots or inflammation.
- You can eat what you want. You won’t have the food restrictions of regular dentures.
Dental implants require a thick, healthy jawbone for proper placement. If you’ve been told by another doctor that your jaw will not be able to support the titanium post, we urge you to visit Uptown Dental Associates. We can improve the thickness and strength of your bone with a bone graft.