Does your jaw frequently hurt? Do you grind your teeth? Give your jaw a break and contact Uptown Dental Associates to learn about our teeth grinding solutions and TMJ treatment in Albuquerque, NM!
At our Albuquerque, NM dentist office, our compassionate team will assess your situation and come up with customized TMJ treatment to relax your jaw joint so it can heal.
Dr. Ryan Shepherd even completed extensive research on TMJ issues and how best to treat them while attending the prestigious Harvard School of Dental Medicine!
TMJ Disorder And Teeth Grinding Explained
TMJ, short for “temporomandibular joint,” is just a fancy term for your jaw joints. Because these joints are complicated, a lot of issues can potentially occur with them. Usually, the main cause of concern is that your jaw joint is not getting a chance to rest, so your tissue becomes inflamed.
You will need to see a trained professional like Dr. Shepherd for a proper diagnosis, but if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, you may have a TMJ disorder (TMD):
- A jaw that gets “stuck” open or closed
- Clicking or popping sounds in your jaw when you open your mouth wide
- Swelling, tenderness, and sensitivity in your jaw
Migraines and headaches, as well as teeth grinding, can also be symptoms of TMD. We will carefully examine your case of jaw pain to determine the cause and best solution.
Your TMJ Disorder And Teeth Grinding Treatment Options
When you arrive at our Albuquerque, NM dental office for a TMJ disorder or teeth grinding treatment, Dr. Shepherd will discuss your situation with you to better diagnose the cause of your discomfort. We offer three main treatment methods to relax and heal your jaw joints.
- We can make custom mouthguards that prevent you from grinding your teeth and allow your jaw to rest. Because your mouthguard will be custom made, it will be comfortable and fit you perfectly.
- We can also use cosmetic treatments to relieve tension in your jaw. Many of our patients experience relief from headaches, jaw pain, and other symptoms in as little as one day following treatment!
- Massage therapy can also do wonders in treating TMD and teeth grinding. As a former massage therapist, Dr. Shepherd will find your trigger points, relieve your discomfort, and show you how to treat your tension yourself!
It’s important that you seek out for TMD/ TMJ treatment and teeth grinding because these issues can actually lead to other problems. Teeth grinding, for example, weakens the enamel on your teeth and can leave your smile more susceptible to damage.