Many millions of people in the United States experience some degree of dental anxiety or fear. And many of those people don’t get the dental care they need because it’s just too uncomfortable or scary to see the dentist. At Uptown Dental Associates in Albuquerque, NM, we think that’s a shame and we’re doing something about it. Our practice offers three levels of dental sedation to help anxious people get the dental care they need.
About Dental Sedation
To sedate basically means to calm, and that’s exactly what dental sedation does for anxious patients. Dental sedation helps to calm and relax a person, reducing or even eliminating anxiety or fear. With deeper levels of sedation, the person’s memory of the procedure itself may be spotty or absent altogether! Imagine that – being able to get the dental care you need and not having to remember anything about the experience.
Dental sedation is generally appropriate when a patient:
- Has a history of becoming anxious, fearful, or agitated when faced with the prospect of a dental appointment, or the appointment itself.
- Is facing a long procedure that may become stressful
- Has difficulties becoming numb from local anesthesia
Tailored To Your Needs
Anxiety and fear aren’t experienced the same by everyone. There’s a range of responses which is why we provide three levels of dental sedation. Every patient can get the right degree of help.
- Inhaled sedation is mix of a gas and oxygen. You breathe the mixture in through a small mask. Almost everyone, including children, can receive inhaled sedation. Inhaled sedation causes a state of relaxation and calm. And the effects wear off quickly once we stop the flow of gas.
- Oral conscious dental sedation allows you to take prescription pill at a predetermined time before your appointment. You’ll need someone to drive you to and from the appointment – driving while sedated is a bad idea – but you’ll be fully relaxed. Your memory of the procedure will likely be pretty foggy which is another benefit that many people enjoy.
- IV sedation is the strongest form of dental sedation we offer. Dr. Ryan Shepherd has completed thorough training in administering dental sedation. He has nearly a decade of experience in helping anxious patients with dental sedation. You’ll be carefully monitored during the procedure to ensure your safety. You’ll remain conscious, but the odds are good that you won’t remember anything.
Dental Sedation Conquers Dental Anxiety
Don’t let a previous bad experience or horror stories keep you from getting the dental care you need. You’ll find our staff to be warm, welcoming, and caring. We have a strict “no judgement” policy. Our total focus is on helping you have your best dental appointment ever so you can receive the treatment you need.
Uptown Dental Associates also provides a number of comfort measures to enhance your experience – blankets and pillows, headphones, longer appointments on demand, and even fresh-baked cookies!